Georgia Tech requires that all applicants demonstrate proof of English language proficiency at the time of application. Failure to meet our English language requirements will result in an automatic denial of your application. Listed below are the ways that this requirement can be satisfied:
- US Citizens and US Permanent Residents can submit Lawful Presence documents
- Non-immigrant visa holders can:
- Provide proof of citizenship from an approved country
- Provide a transcript from a regionally accredited university or college located in the United States reflecting a minimum of one academic year (3 quarters or 2 semesters) of full-time enrollment
- Provide a transcript from a university or college located in one of these listed countries reflecting a minimum of one academic year (3 quarters or 2 semesters) of full-time enrollment
Applicants not meeting any of the above criteria, who studied at a school where the language of instruction is English but the country in which the school is located is not listed here, are required to submit acceptable standardized test scores as outlined below.
If you do not meet any of the above listed criteria, you will be required to submit a standardized test score to satisfy the English Language Proficiency requirement.
Georgia Tech's accepted tests and minimum score requirement for graduate admission are listed below. Please note that meeting Georgia Tech’s minimum score does not guarantee admission since some programs have higher score requirements.
- Official IELTS Academic test score
- can be from a test taken at an IELTS test location or the IELTS Indicator at home test
- IELTS ≥ 7 (minimum band score for Reading, Listening, and Speaking is 6.5; minimum band score for Writing is 5.5)
- scores must be sent via the IELTS electronic score delivery service to Georgia Institute of Technology, "Graduate"
- Official internet based TOEFL test score
- can be from a test taken at an authorized test center or the TOEFL Home Edition test
- TOEFL iBT ≥ 90 (each section must score 19 or higher)
- official scores must be sent electronically by ETS to Georgia Institute of Technology, "Graduate", institute code 5248
- Official score for Georgia Tech Language Institute English Proficiency Assessment. Applicants can sign up for the assessment here. The Language Institute will report the assessment results to Graduate Admissions within 2 business days from the day of the assessment
- Overall score of 3 is required to meet the admission requirements
- Applicants may also successfully complete the advanced level (700 Level) of the Georgia Tech Language Institute' Intensive English Program. The intensive English program is an 8-week program that is offered face to face five times a year. For more information about the intensive English Program, please visit Intensive English Program | Language Institute - English as a Second Language (ESL) | Georgia Tech Professional Education | Atlanta, GA (gatech.edu).
- WE DO NOT ACCEPT DUOLINGO AS PROOF OF ENGLISH PROFICIENCY
We recommend that you achieve acceptable scores prior to submitting your application. Scores must be no more than two years old on the day you are scheduled to begin your graduate studies. Failure to satisfy the English Language Proficiency requirement will impact our ability to review an application.