Lawful Presence

In accordance with University System of Georgia policy, all students admitted to Georgia Tech and residing in the United States must verify their lawful presence prior to registering for classes. Please see below for acceptable documentation to satisfy this requirement. Unless otherwise noted, documents* may be provided with your application for admission or uploaded to your application status portal later. 

*We understand these documents may not be available when you submit your application; however, they must be provided after you have been accepted for admission and prior to class registration. You will not be allowed to register for classes until you provide this documentation to Tech. All documents must be valid through the first day of Phase II registration for the term in which you are applying. Registration dates can be found on the Academic Calendar on the Registrar's website.

Students who do not need to submit Lawful Presence documents
  1. F-1 or J-1 students sponsored by Tech. You will meet with the Office of International Education upon arrival for mandatory immigration check-in. They will verify your immigration documents at that time.
  2. Noncitizens residing outside of the United States. If you will complete an online or distance learning program abroad, you do not need to provide lawful presence documentation. You will not be located in the United States during your program completion.


U.S. Citizens
  1. A current U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport card.
  2. A current REAL ID Georgia Driver’s License or REAL ID Georgia State ID card issued after 1/1/2008. Temporary/interim paper licenses and licenses marked "limited term" are not acceptable. 
  3. Out-of-State current REAL ID licenses or REAL ID state-issued ID cards may also be accepted, restrictions apply. Not all states are accepted. View the list of eligible states and requirements.
  4. An Original or Certified U.S. Birth Certificate. The scanned item must be clear and complete. The official seal must be visible on it from a U.S. state, county, municipal authority, or territory.
  5. A current U.S. Military ID (service member only, not dependent). Cannot be photocopied, scanned, emailed, or uploaded per Dept. of Defense rules. Must be presented in person only
  6. A FAFSA application. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid may satisfy this requirement. You do not have to want or seek aid. This is simply a means for the U.S. Dept. of Education to verify your lawful citizenship. In rare cases, we may request additional verification documentation. The FAFSA year must correspond with your term of admission. List Tech’s school code as a recipient, 001569.
  7. A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
  8. A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
  9. A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350).
  10. A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).


Permanent Residents
  1. If you are an approved U.S. Permanent Resident, please provide a front and back copy of your current, valid Permanent Resident card. 
Pending Permanent Residents 
  • If you have applied for U.S. Permanent Residency, please provide a copy of your pending I-485 receipt notice or I-797. 
    Please note that applicants for Permanent Residency are NOT exempt from the proof of English Proficiency requirement. Only USCIS approved US Permanent Residents with a valid Permanent Resident card are exempt from the proof of English Proficiency requirement. 

If you are U.S. Visa holding applicant, please provide a copy of your current, valid Visa and/or other immigration documentation. These may include:

  • I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record).
  • I-797 form.
  • I-766 (Employment Authorization Card).
  • Unexpired Foreign Passport.
  • I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant [F-1] Student Status).
  • I-327 (Reentry Permit).
  • I-571 (Refugee Travel Document).
  • Machine Readable Immigration Visa (with Temporary I-551 Language).
  • Temporary I-551 Stamp (on passport or I-94).
  • DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status).


For more information, please email


Accessibility Information

Per accessibility compliance standards, this page may have links to files that would require the downloading of additional software: