Paying for Grad School

Finding the funds to pay tuition and fees can be the biggest challenge of graduate study. Some of the most common methods for covering these costs include assistantships, fellowships, or loans. For more detailed information about each of these options, see the Graduate Student Guidebook or visit the section of the Georgia Tech Catalog that provides financial information.

For detailed information about current tuition costs, fees, and deadlines to submit payments, visit the Bursar's website. International students should refer to the Office of International Education website for the estimated cost of attendance that must be demonstrated to be eligible for an immigration form I-20 or DS-2019 to be issued.


Many of Tech’s graduate students are employed as graduate research or teaching assistants (GRAs and GTAs), including four out of five doctoral students. Generally speaking, there is no application process for obtaining a GRA or GTA.

These assistantships provide a tuition waiver and a modest stipend, and are awarded through students’ major departments. The award process is usually in conjunction with the department’s initial offer of admission to their graduate program. The tuition responsibility for students on assistantships is $25. Minimum stipend levels apply for all assistantship appointments. For the most current information on minimum stipends, visit Tech’s Policy Library.

The vast majority of GRA jobs are funded by sponsored research dollars awarded to faculty by grants or contracts external to Tech. GRAs provide hands-on research experience and usually an opportunity to learn teamwork.

Most GTA jobs are paid from Tech operating funds (state funds). GTAs provide an opportunity for students to develop teaching skills in apprenticeship with a faculty member.

To be hired as a GRA or GTA and receive the associated tuition waiver, you must be enrolled as a full-time student. Required enrollment for GRAs/GTAs is at least 12 hours. In summer semesters, that must include six hours taken for letter-grade or pass/fail credit. In fall/spring, that must include nine hours of letter-grade or pass/fail credit. On average, most GRAs/GTAs require 13-20 hours per week of work. 

The following forms must be completed by nonacademic units looking to hire GRAs and GTAs: 


U.S. citizens and permanent residents are often eligible for special student loans. There are two federal direct loan programs for graduate students: the unsubsidized Direct Student Loan and the Graduate Plus Loan. To learn more about applying for a loan, visit the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid website. (This office can also assist international students with finding private loans.)

Accessibility Information

Per accessibility compliance standards, this page may have links to files that would require the downloading of additional software: