Georgia Tech requires that all applicants demonstrate proof of English language proficiency at the time of application. Failure to meet our English language requirements will result in an automatic denial of your application.
Satisfying the English Proficiency Requirement
- U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents can submit Lawful Presence documents.
- Non-immigrant visa holders can provide:
- Proof of citizenship from an approved country
- Transcript from a regionally accredited university or college located in the United States reflecting a minimum of one academic year (3 quarters or 2 semesters) of full-time enrollment
- Transcript from a university or college located in one of the approved countries reflecting a minimum of one academic year (3 quarters or 2 semesters) of full-time enrollment
Please note that if you studied at a school where the language of instruction is English but the country in which the school is located is not listed as an approved country, you are still required to submit acceptable standardized test scores as outlined below.
If you do not meet any of the above listed criteria, you will be required to submit valid* standardized test scores as outlined below in the Test Score Requirements section.
*A valid test score meets the Institute minimum score requirement and is not expired.
Test Score Requirements
Georgia Tech's accepted tests and minimum score requirement for graduate admission are listed below. Please note that meeting Georgia Tech’s minimum score does not guarantee admission since some programs have higher score requirements.
- Official IELTS Academic test score
- Can be from a test taken at an IELTS test location or the IELTS Indicator at home test
- IELTS ≥ 7 (minimum band score for Reading, Listening, and Speaking is 6.5; minimum band score for Writing is 5.5)
- Scores must be sent via the IELTS electronic score delivery service to Georgia Institute of Technology, "Graduate"
- Official TOEFL iBT test score
- Can be from a test taken at an authorized test center or the TOEFL Home Edition test
- TOEFL iBT ≥ 90 (each section must score 19 or higher)
- Scores must be sent via the ETS electronic score delivery service to Georgia Institute of Technology, "Graduate", institute code 5248
- Official Georgia Tech Language Institute (GTLI) English Proficiency Assessment test score.
- Overall score of 3 is required to meet the admission requirements.
- The Language Institute will report the assessment results to Graduate Admissions within 2 business days from the day of the assessment.
- Successful completion of Upper Advanced 700 Level of GTLI Intensive English Program.
- This intensive program is 8-weeks long and is offered face to face five times a year.
- We do not accept Duolingo as proof of english proficiency.
We recommend that you achieve acceptable scores prior to submitting your application. Scores must be no more than two years old on the day you are scheduled to begin your graduate education. Failure to satisfy the English Language Proficiency requirement will impact our ability to review an application.